Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Cheng, YE (2018) Educational friction: striated routes, transition velocity, and value recuperation among Singaporean private degree students. Journal of Intercultural Studies, 39, 6, 642-657.
- Cheng, YE (2018) Liberal arts educated citizen: experimentation, subjectification, and ambiguous contours of youth citizenship. Area. Early view. DOI: 10.1111/area.12440
- Cheng, YE (2018) Educated non-elites’ pathways to cosmopolitanism: the case of private degree students in Singapore, Social & Cultural Geography, 19, 2, 151-170.
- Danicar, M.; Yeoh, BSA and Cheng, YE (2017) Crossing borders of state and religious power: reproductive mobilities in Singapore. Asia Pacific Viewpoint, 58, 2, 203-215.
- Cheng, YE (2016) Critical geographies of education beyond ‘value’: moral sentiments, caring, and a politics for acting differently, Antipode, 48, 4, 919-936.
- Cheng, YE (2016) Learning in neoliberal times: private degree students and the politics of value coding in Singapore, Environment and Planning A, 48, 2, 292-308.
- Cheng, YE (2015) Biopolitical geographies of student life: private higher education and citizenship life-making in Singapore, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 105, 5, 1078-1093.
- Cheng, YE; Yeoh, BSA and Zhang, J (2015) Still ‘breadwinners’ and ‘providers’: Singaporean husbands, money, and masculinity in transnational marriages, Gender, Place & Culture, 22, 6, 867-883.
- Cheng, YE (2014) Time protagonists: student migrants, practices of time, and cultural construction of the Singapore-educated person, Social & Cultural Geography, 15, 4, 385-405.
- Cheng, YE (2014) Telling stories of the city: walking ethnography, mobile encounters, and affective materialities, Space and Culture, 17, 3, 211-223.
- Yeoh, BSA; Chee, HL; Vu, TKD and Cheng, YE (2013) Between two families: the social meaning of remittances for Vietnamese marriage migrants in Singapore, Global Networks, 13, 4, 441-458.
- Cheng, YE (2012) Transnational masculinities in situ: Singaporean husbands and their international marriage experiences, Area, 44, 1, 76-82.
Editorial Works on Journals
- Cheng, YE and Holton, M (forthcoming) Geographies of citizenship in higher education: an introduction, Area. https://doi.org/10.1111/area.12527
- Robertson, S, Cheng, YE, and Yeoh, BSA (2018) Introduction: Mobile aspirations? Youth im/mobilities in the Asia-Pacific, Journal of Intercultural Studies, 39, 6, 613-625.
Chapters in Books/Edited Volumes
|Cheng, YE and Wong, WM (forthcoming) Teen lives in Singapore, in Wells, K. (ed) Teen Lives Around the World. Santa Barbara, ABC-CLIO.|
|Yang, PD and Cheng, YE (2018) Educational mobility and transnationalization, in Gleason, N. (ed) Higher Education in the Era of Fourth Industrial Revolution. Singapore: Palgrave. [open access]|
|Cheng, YE (2016) Learning to labour in Singapore: cultural politics of education and human capital formation, in Tatek, A. and Waters, J. (eds) Labouring and Learning, Vol. 10 of Skelton, T. (ed) Geographies of Children and Young People, Singapore, Springer.|
|Yeoh, BSA; Huang, S and Cheng, YE (2015) Transnational domestic work and the politics of development, in Coles, A.; Gray, L. and Momsen, J. (eds) The Routledge Handbook of Gender and Development, London, Routledge, pp. 298-308.|
|Yeoh, BSA and Cheng, YE (2013) Singapore: from post-colonial plural society to globalizing city-state, in P. Spoonley and E. Tolley (eds) Diverse Nations, Diverse Responses: Approaches to Social Cohesion in Immigrant Societies, Canada, McGill-Queen’s University Press, pp. 193-214.|
|Yeoh, BSA and Cheng, YE (2013) Family migration, in I. Ness and P. Bellwood (eds) Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration, US, Wiley-Blackwell.|
- Cheng, YE (2018) Passing through Shanghai: ethnographic insights into the mobile lives of expatriate youths, By Marie Sander, Reviewed in Children’s Geographies, 16, 2, 220-221.
- Cheng, YE (2014) Geographies of alternative education: diverse learning spaces for children and young people, By Peter Kraftl, Reviewed in Children’s Geographies, 12, 3, 369-370.
- Cheng, YE (2011) Translocal geographies: spaces, places, connections – By Katherine Brickell and Ayona Datta, Reviewed in Localities, 1, 261-266.
- Cheng, YE (2017) Is private higher education in Singapore a ‘second chance’ option? Channel News Asia. 17 September.
Manuscripts in Progress
Youth Politics in Urban Asia: special issue proposal to Space and Polity (with Sonia Lam-Knott), accepted.
Urban custodians and hospitable citizens: Youth citizenship and social actions at two liberal arts universities in Hong Kong and Shanghai.
Liberal arts education travels to Asia: pedagogic dissonance and the making of the educated person (with Jane M. Jacobs)